AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Sports medicine, with an emphasis on diagnostic and interventional ultrasound, concussion, exercise prescription, sports performance, and acute and chronic muscle and joint pain
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- MD, University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ
- Family Medicine Residency, St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ
- Sports Medicine Fellowship, Swedish Medical Center Cherry Hill, Seattle, WA
- Member, Seattle Pediatric Sports Medicine Interest Group
- Diplomate, American Board of Family Medicine
- Member, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
- Member, American College of Sports Medicine
- Member, American Academy of Family Physicians
- Member, American Medical Association
HONORS AND AWARDS
- St. Joseph’s Family Medicine Grand Rounds Award, 2014
- GNAC All-Academic Athlete, Seattle University, 2006
LECTURES, PRESENTATIONS, AND PUBLICATIONS
- “The Pre-participation Exam.” Swedish Cherry Hill Family Medicine Residency Didactics. Seattle, WA. Jul 28, 2015
- “Common Wrist Problems.” Swedish Cherry Hill Family Medicine Residency Didactics. Seattle, WA. Feb 17, 2015
- Makinde A, Seidner T. “Hip Pain After Fitness Bootcamp: A Case Report.” Podium presentation, ACSM annual meeting, May 27, 2015.
- Makinde A, Colio S, Pourcho. “Atypical Calcium Hydroxyapatite Deposition Peri-articular to the Proximal Tibio-fibular Joint, Treated With Sonographically-guided Percutaneous Lavage: A Case Report.” AMSSM annual meeting, April 18, 2015. Published online at amssm.org.
- “Respiratory Conditions in Athletes.” Swedish Sports Medicine Fellowship Didactic Conference. Seattle, WA. Oct 28, 2014
- “Critical Evaluation of the Pre-Participation Exam.” St. Joseph’s Family Medicine Grand Rounds, Phoenix, AZ. Mar 28, 2014
- Makinde A, Drezner J. Abstract – “Physician Attitudes Regarding Electrocardiogram Use in the Pre-Participation Physical Examination.” Clin J Sport Med. 2014 Mar; 24(2):192.
- Makinde A, Seltzer D. “Unusually Large Coronoid Spur Development In A Young Male Professional Athlete: A Case Report.” Poster presentation at the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA April 5-9, 2014 and St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center Academic Excellence Day, Phoenix, AZ. April 2013.
- Makinde A, Usta Y, Hahn F, Chamberlain R, Drewitz D, Steinberg P, Mircescu M. “Challenges in Diagnosing Gastrointestinal Basidiobolomycosis and the Role of Surgical Intervention in Treatment: A Case Report.” St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center Academic Excellence Day, Phoenix, AZ. April 2013.
- “Osteoarthritis: Diagnosis and Current Evidence Based Recommendations for Treatment.” St. Joseph’s Family Medicine Block Conference, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Phoenix, AZ. Jan 11, 2013
- Makinde A. “Impact of Patient Awareness of Diabetic Quality Measures in Improving Blood Pressure Control.” Peppertree Clinic, Phoenix, AZ. Jan 2013
- “Platelet Rich Plasma: Basic Science and Evidence of Clinical Applications.” Arizona State University Student Health & Sports Medicine Conference, Tempe, AZ. Nov 29, 2012
- “Alternative Medicine and Pain Management: What Is the Evidence?” St. Joseph’s Family Medicine Block Conference, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Phoenix, AZ. Oct 19, 2012
- “Anorexia Nervosa and Female Athlete Triad: A Brief Clinical Overview.” St. Joseph’s Family Medicine Block Conference, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Phoenix, AZ. Jan 5, 2012
- “Hip Overuse Injuries in Athletes and Active Populations.” St. Joseph’s Family Medicine Block Conference, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Phoenix AZ. July 28, 2011
- Makinde A, Bakerman P, Adams R, Notrica D. “Hyperbilirubinemia and Gallbladder Complications in Pediatric Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Patients.” University of Arizona COM Research Symposium, Phoenix, AZ. March 10, 2011
- “Romancing the Stone: A Brief Overview of Acalculus Cholecystitis.” Pediatric Surgery Didactic Conference. Phoenix Children’s Hospital. Feb 2010
- “Too much of a good thing: A brief look into polyhydramnios.” Labor & Delivery Didactic Conference. MIHS Phoenix, AZ. Jan 2010
- “Miller Fischer: A Syndromic Journey from Top to Bottom” Phoenix Children’s Hospital. Didactic Conference. Aug 2009
- “Sinusitis Induced Subdural Empyema: A Case Report and Overview” Neurology Stroke Rounds, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Phoenix, AZ. Oct 2009
- “Paradoxical Strategies in the treatment of ADHD.” Banner Good Samaritan Psychiatry Didactic Conference. Phoenix, AZ. Dec 2009
- Team Physician, Northwest University, Kirkland, WA
- Medical Director, Ballard Citterion (2015)
- Team Physician, Seattle University, Seattle, WA (2014-15)
- Team Physician, O’Dea High School, Seattle, WA (2014-15)