Spine Institute Northwest founded by Dr. Solomon Kamson, MD, PHD, has successfully implanted the first StimRouter™ Neuromodulation System implantation in the Northwest United States.
As a minimally invasive device designed to reduce pain by specifically targeting the affected peripheral nerve, StimRouter™ is a cost-effective alternative to narcotic pain medication, and surgeries. The therapy provides non-opioid Pain Relief to multiple chronic pain anatomical sites.
We are very excited to offer The StimRouter™. It allows us to use a minimally invasive technique as an alternative to narcotic medication for patients suffering from peripheral nerve pain, which is something we consider invaluable for our patients.
What is the StimRouter™?
StimRouter was the first FDA cleared non-drug, long-term, minimally invasive neuromodulation medical device indicated to treat chronic pain of a peripheral nerve origin. The patient controlled device is an adjunct to other modes of therapy (e.g., narcotic medications) and is being well received by patients and clinicians alike internationally.
The StimRouter is currently being implanted at prestigious clinical institutions in Europe and in the US to treat chronic peripheral nerve pain, with specific focus on the following conditions or areas:
• Axillary nerve (e.g. post-stroke shoulder pain)
• Ulnar nerve (e.g. cubital tunnel syndrome)
• Ilioinguinal (e.g. post-surgical hernia complication)
• Superior Cluneal nerve (e.g. lower back neuralgia)
What is involved in the technique?
StimRouter is licenced to treat chronic pain of peripheral nerve origin. StimRouter is a minimally invasive neuromodulation medical device consisting of a thin, implanted lead with conductive electrode that is implanted next to the specific nerve.
Electrical signals are transmitted transdermally from the external pulse transmitter (EPT) on the skin through the electrode, down the lead to the target nerve.
StimRouter is programmed at the direction of the physician to meet patient requirements but is controlled by the patient to address the patients specific, changing chronic pain management needs using a hand-held wireless patient programmer.
CBSNewYork.com highlights the success of a new non narcotic treatment for chronic pain.
The StimRouter Neuromodulation System’s sleek design and user-friendliness empowers patients to have complete control over their pain management and get back to the activities they love.
- Select from multiple, pre-set stimulation programs with the push of a button.
- Low-profile, externally-worn transmitter that can be easily recharged at home.
- One-time, minimally-invasive lead placement as a long-term therapy solution.
- The StimRouter lead is MR conditional so patients can still undergo an MRI scan.
Pain can be a significant roadblock to your physical rehabilitation and inhibit your daily activities.
- Studies show that as many as 85% of stroke survivors will develop shoulder pain.1
- Stimulation of the axillary nerve in the shoulder has been observed as an effective approach in reducing shoulder pain.2
- Current interventions for post-stroke shoulder pain are limited and short-term focused.
- Unlike narcotic medications that circulate throughout your entire body, StimRouter targets the precise area where you are feeling pain without the common prescription side effects.
- Current therapies- opioids, nerve injections, slings/support mechanisms- have limited effect and are not sustainable long-term.
- StimRouter does not have to be a permanent therapy- the small lead may be removed if you decide to pursue a different treatment.
StimRouter demonstrated safety and efficacy in treating neuropathic pain of peripheral nerve origin during a 12 month study of 94 patients with FDA oversight.3