Your joints are involved in every movement your body makes. This means they are constantly working and in motion. Many people don’t know, but your spine is actually a sequence of joints that move to balance and support your body. With all of this motion can come wear and tear, especially after years of abuse. It is extremely important to take care of your joints since they are what keep your body in motion. Exercising and stretching is one way to promote the health of your joints and spine but there is more you can do to ensure you are doing all you can to take care of your body. Having a proper diet can significantly affect the health and longevity of your joints.
How Joints are Affected by Your Diet
Food is the main source of fuel for our bodies. It greatly affects how our bodies feel and function. When looking for foods that benefit joint health the key is finding foods that are known to fight inflammation. The most prevalent cause for pain in your joints is due to inflammation. Your joints are constantly in motion so it makes sense that over time there is a strong chance they will become inflamed or injured. This risk can greatly be reduced with proper joint care. An easy way to promote joint health is to eat foods that have natural anti-inflammatory properties.
Superfoods That Support Joint health
There are numerous foods that are known to provide the necessary nutrients to sustain a healthy diet.In addition there are a handful of foods that yield a surplus of nutrients and are especially beneficial for your health and well being. These are known as superfoods. Superfoods are not only advantageous for you health, but there are some that are very beneficial for the health of your joints. To construct a diet that will benefit your joints consider the following foods.
- Berries are a great superfood because they contain a large amount of nutrients in such a small package. They are also known to be packed with antioxidants which are good for heart health and also lower the risk of infections. There have been many studies done that also prove berries contain anti inflammatory properties.
- Fish is a food that is high in protein, but when consumed does not bring many unwanted bad fats. It is a great, healthy, protein rich alternative to meats such as beef or pork. Fish contains large amounts of omega 3 fatty acids that are known as healthy fats that for the body. Wild salmon and sardines are examples of some of the healthier fish that will benefit your joints and spine. An alternative to this for someone who does not eat fish is fish oil supplements. These are great replacements to make sure you still get the nutrients your joints and body need.
- Cruciferous vegetables such as kale, broccoli, and cauliflower are most known for providing not only fiber, but antioxidants that assist in preventing cell damage. These vegetables and along with all other provide a large amount of nutrients, but these cruciferous vegetables are considered superfoods because they pack a powerful concentration of these benefits. Consuming these vegetables consistently and adding them to your daily diet can reduce inflammation and pain that could ultimately hinder your daily movement.
- Green tea naturally possess compounds that have been found to fight inflammation. These compounds known as polyphenolic compounds are proven to ward off the effects of inflammation. There are many studies that have shown consuming green tea can assist in controlling the pain from medical conditions such as arthritis.
- Spices are most commonly used in cooking to add more flavor to a dish. What most people do not know is there are certain spices that are known to have strong anti inflammatory properties. Two of theses “super” spices that fight inflammation throughout the whole body are tumeric and ginger. The great thing about tumeric and ginger is that they can be easily added to numerous dishes you may already eat.
Your Diet Affects the Wellness of Your Joints
Having a proper diet is not a quick fix to joint problems. However if paired with a comprehensive lifestyle you can greatly increase the longevity and health of your joints and spine. Not only do these superfoods fight inflammation, they also provide many other health benefits that will positively affect the well being of your whole body. Are you suffering from chronic joint pain or persistent back pain? Call us at 206-496-0630 to discuss the latest minimally invasive procedures to help you get back your life or contact us here.