Now that you have started to recover from your spinal fusion surgery, you may want to start with some simple yoga exercises. Doctors often recommend yoga to their patients after a spinal fusion surgery. Here are 10 tips to start using Yoga in your rehabilitation after spinal fusion surgery.
- Be sure to get approval first from your doctor, it’s important that you don’t start practicing yoga too soon and cause any damage after spinal fusion surgery.
- Work with an experienced yoga instruction that is educated in yoga therapeutics to help with your rehabilitation program.
- Find a yoga instructor who is experienced with working with spinal fusion surgery patients. Avoid large (30 or more people) yoga classes.
- Schedule a one on one session with a knowledgeable yoga instructor that is familiar with the appropriate yoga poses after spinal fusion surgery.
- Do not include any yoga poses that include bending or twisting, this will only harm the benefits from your spinal fusion surgery.
- Strive to hold your poses for at least 30 seconds, this will allow your muscles to adapt and be more comfortable with the yoga movements.
- Take it slow and listen to your body. Don’t push your body if there is discomfort or you don’t feel safe in the position you are in. You may want to ask for modifications for the yoga poses until you are able to do more advanced poses.
- Include Yoga props, like blocks, straps and bolsters that will provide additional support and help you ease into each yoga pose.
- Ask for a list of any restrictions you may need from your doctor after your spinal fusion surgery for starting to include yoga in your rehabilitation. This way you can communicate this to a yoga instructor.
- After you have recovered from your spinal fusion surgery, plan to keep yoga as part of your active lifestyle. Yoga provides ease for back pain and promotes a healthy spine.
Check out our other Yoga blogs!
Come See Us At The Spine Institute Northwest!
At the Spine Institute Northwest, we want to help ease your back pain! Conveniently located in the Seattle area, our team of dedicated surgeons is available to guide you to a more mobile life!
Contact us today at (888) 712-0318, or visit our site to set an appointment for a free MRI review. We offer the total care package that allows us to make a personalized plan to make you ready this New Year!
Don’t Wait, Get Back Your Life! Call the Spine Institute Northwest today!